Saturday 22 October 2016


                                                   Scaffolding Students' Writing


            One of my best sessions for LIT 102 is when we looked at Scaffolding Students' Writing. As a student who is new to the profession I did not know what was required of me when it came to making students better writers. However, after that sessions I felt confident and ready to assist the upcoming generation in being more proficient writers.

             During that class we were separated in different groups to present on different ways that we as upcoming teachers can scaffold students' writing. We used letters of the alphabet to assist with the presentations. I leant that I must teach students to brain storm, use their own topics, work collaboratively, revise, think aloud and use graphic organizers which will help develop their writing. As a teacher I should Inquire to find students’ interest, writing abilities and what they know about writing. I should provide feedback after each stage of writing, guide their writing as they go through the writing process and allow them to publish their finished work.

             For one of the presentation the group placed themselves in the shoes of primary school students who desired more from their teacher when it came to writing. This was quite informative and brought me back to my  primary school days thinking that there was more my teachers can do. I saw the letter from the point of view of a teacher being addressed by a student. I surely sympathized with that student and believe that I need to do what it takes to ensure that I am capable of assisting students with becoming the best writers.


                                                                                                                           Marla Theodore

5 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful piece. It brings out your excitement and enthusiasm about scaffolding students writings.

    Del

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written piece. This lesson brought up ideas that can be used upon our return to our various schools.

    Chrishner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well expressed piece my fellow colleagues. After this Lit 102 session, I have come to the realization that there are more meaningful ways of assisting students with writing. This session has also provided me with many ideas that can be implemented in the literacy classroom. As an emergent teacher, I look forward to these sessions as they contribute to improvements in my practice as an educator.

    Gizelle Edward

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well expressed piece my fellow colleagues. After this Lit 102 session, I have come to the realization that there are more meaningful ways of assisting students with writing. This session has also provided me with many ideas that can be implemented in the literacy classroom. As an emergent teacher, I look forward to these sessions as they contribute to improvements in my practice as an educator.

    Gizelle Edward

    ReplyDelete
  5. This informs me that as there are letters in the alphabet, there a ways of scaffolding writing to a child. Well put together piece. Great job.

    Del

    ReplyDelete